Steak Sandwich with Onions and Peppers
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (12 oz.) strip loin steak
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package Il Villaggio Provolone
- Italian hero, any size you want but we recommend 12in
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
At a glance
Recipe type: Lunch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a sealable bag, combine the red wine, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, rosemary and the strip steak. Refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours. Remove steak from bag and pat dry. Then rub the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat, either outdoor or stovetop grill pan. Grease the grate generously. Grill steak, turning once for 8-10minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Then slice steak against the grain.
- Caramelized onions and peppers: heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring every few minutes until onions are caramelized and peppers are soft and lightly brown. About 15 – 20 minutes.
- Slice Italian hero in half and place on a baking sheet.
- Then place a row of cheese on the bottom, then top with steak, the pepper and onions mixture and more cheese. Lay the top half of the hero next to the layered sandwich, this will help the top piece of cheese to melt
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 5-7minutes, just until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and immediately place the top of the bread on the sandwich and lightly press.
- Cut and serve!